Central Virginia Organic Gardener

"And 'tis my faith that every flower enjoys the air it breathes." - William Wordsworth, 1798

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Happy Halloween!


I have always loved Halloween! Something about dressing up and becoming someone or something else! I always preferred scary costumes- witches, ghosts (one year my mother made us three youngest kids devil costumes-I think she was trying to tell us something). One quick gardening tip for Halloween. After Halloween I take my used inedible Jack o' Lanterns and toss them and, most importantly, their seeds into a waste area in the garden (that spot that isn't used to grow stuff) and see what emerges. This year I came away with 15 or so little pumpkins, most Jack Be Little ornamental types, and a few pie pumpkins. You never know exactly what you will get (pumpkins cross fertilize with other squashes easily) but it is fun!

Happy Halloween! Keep those hands in the dirt!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Judy. Great ideas and information. You are a wealthy of good gardening information. Keep it up.

Mary Ann

Judy Thomas said...

Remember to recycle those pumpkins! Unless you can eat them!
judy

Anonymous said...

My Dad just showed my your blog! Can't wait to see the monticello pictures!
Happy (almost) Halloween!

Judy Thomas said...

Hey Lookbooks- who are you???
I'll get working on the Monticello entry and photos- a great place to visit (totally excellent gardens, IMHO).
Judy

Anonymous said...

I don't want to say my name online, but I love Jane Goodall and John Adams! I hope that it is a good clue. Sorry for the late response- end of the quarter and lots of tests.

Judy Thomas said...

Hi Lookbooks! I know who you are! I should have guessed from the user name. I will be posting the Monticello entry soon!
Judy