Central Virginia Organic Gardener

"And 'tis my faith that every flower enjoys the air it breathes." - William Wordsworth, 1798

Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Banana Flowers In Virginia


Bananas
I previously wrote an entry on my love affair with banana plants ("Goin' bananas"), how I take them indoors to my attic every winter, and bring them back out again in the spring. Well, I purchased two new banana plants at a plant sale at Norfolk Botanical gardens this spring, a mystery variety, and voila! One is in flower (above) and I am anticipating enjoying that flower in my house for several months! Bananas are a large, herbaceous plant, similar to a large stalk of grass. They usually live for two years, flowering and dying in their second year, then sending up a "daughter" shoot (not really a daughter, as it is a genetic clone of the "mother" plant). I expect that this flower will not produce fruit, and, if it does, it will not be edible...but what fun!
Happy gardening!

3 comments:

Anita said...

My mother has (or used to have) huge-leaf plants in her yard. I think she said they were banana plants. I'm going to call her to ask...I'm now curious.

Judy Thomas said...

Anita- did you find out yet?
jt

Anita said...

I did. They were elephant plants. I'm sure that's not the official name, but my memory is better now. The leaves were huge, and looked a little like elephant ears.