Central Virginia Organic Gardener

"And 'tis my faith that every flower enjoys the air it breathes." - William Wordsworth, 1798

Sunday, January 2, 2011


Book Review: Eddison, S. (2010). Gardening for a Lifetime: How to Garden Wiser as You Grow Older. Portland: Timber Press

As I launch further into my 50's, I realize that I already have some functional limitations in regard to gardening. Bad back, arthritis...I cannot go into the garden in the morning and emerge 8 hours later, all perky, like I used to do in my 30's. But I still manage and now have several strategies to get most of the work done- work in small bursts, use a wheeled garden stool, prioritize. So I was curious when I found this book on the library shelves. Sydney Eddison is a long-time gardener and garden writer. Eddison is a good writer: clear, understandable and from the heart. She describes both loss and plunging ahead to continue to do what she loves for as long as she can, an admirable philosophy (I mean, you can either grump over what you cannot do or do what you can). Her book reflects the aging gardener and at the end of each chapter she gives pithy advice for all of us. I recommend this book- a quick read, great advice. Some of my favorite bits of advice? "Accept imperfections" "Pick your battles" "Make the hard choices" "Gardener, know thyself," and find possibilities in what you have. If only we could, in all areas of life, follow that last bit of advice.
Happy gardening!

1 comment:

Anita said...

You summed it up so well.

Have a peaceful and fulfulling new year, Judy.