Central Virginia Organic Gardener

"And 'tis my faith that every flower enjoys the air it breathes." - William Wordsworth, 1798

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Long Island Cheese

 

This winter squash is, hands down, the best I have ever grown.  Called Long Island Cheese, it got its name from its resemblance to a wheel of cheese.  It passed my first and most important criteria, that it is easy to grow. In addition, the flesh of this pumpkin is dense, sweet, and absolutely delicious. It is perfect for pies, pumpkin bread, and other desserts, but I've also used it to make a pumpkin curry with wonderful results.  Squash vine borers (which seem to be at epidemic proportions in my garden) made absolutely no headway with the squash, nor did cucumber beetles. It kept producing fruit all the way through the season. From one vine, I got about seven small to very large squash, more large end than small.  This is definitely a squash I will grow again!  I ordered it from Pinetree Garden Seeds (www.superseeds.com) but many heirloom seed houses carry it.
Happy garden planning! Order your seeds yet? I did!

No comments: