Central Virginia Organic Gardener

"And 'tis my faith that every flower enjoys the air it breathes." - William Wordsworth, 1798

Friday, August 14, 2020

Requited Love?


 
Requited Love

If there is such a thing as unrequited love, is there requited love? I love Swiss chard and it loves me back. I've written before on this blog about my love for all things "greens" including mustard greens, kale, turnip greens, bok choy, tatsoi, Napa and others. But my main go to green, for both taste and beauty, is Swiss chard.

One of the reasons why I like Swiss chard so much, is that I have abysmal luck growing spinach. Spinach needs a lot more water early on to get going, and I've never had the plants really leaf out well. To me, Swiss Chard is a great spinach substitute, though if you want creamed spinach, you need to cut out the midrib. My favorite way to eat Swiss Chard is sauteed with garlic and onions, and olive oil, and maybe a splash of balsamic vinegar. Simple and delicious. It also makes a great quiche, using a spinach quiche recipe and substituting chard.

Though I will post this later, I'm writing it in mid-July and the chard harvest (except for steamed then frozen) is a thing of the past until fall. We had great big beautiful stands of it. For two people, you don't need to plant many seeds to get a lot of chard, like 10 seeds?

The photo above is of my favorite variety, rainbow chard. The stems come in shades of red, pink, yellow, orange, white, peach. Very beautiful, pretty easy to grow, and versatile.  Plant in early spring, follow the package directions, water once a day until it sprouts, and replant in September.

1 comment:

LT said...

This spring was my first having swiss chard (not grown by me) and thinking back on it, planting some would be fun! I'll have to put in a calendar reminder for September. Anything else that you're planting now or that you have planned for the fall? I tend to fail at thinking about the fall in the vegetable garden, so any advice is great!

Thanks!