Central Virginia Organic Gardener

"And 'tis my faith that every flower enjoys the air it breathes." - William Wordsworth, 1798

Friday, July 9, 2021

Carrots Can Be STUNNING




I am not the greatest grower of carrots, but I do eat a lot of them. I've had luck with other root crops from sweet potatoes to turnips, daikon, and radishes, but carrot culture eluded me for a while. I particularly love the purple carrots pictured above. I don't know if they taste any better or more nutritious, but they certainly appeal to the botanical artist in me. 

These are called Cosmic Purple Carrots. The interior can be solid orange, yellow, or orange with a yellow core. Like most unusually colored vegetables, they don't really maintain their color after they've been cooked, but just a little. Carrots need loose and light soil that is deeply worked, but no nitrogen. Some gardeners suggest working soilless seed starting mix or perlite into the carrot bed as well as making sure the soil is not at all compacted. Too much nitrogen makes the carrots hairy and woody and they won't taste as good. Once the tiny carrot seeds are planted just below the surface, the soil must stay damp in order for the carrot seeds to sprout. A rookie mistake, which I somehow seem to make regularly, is to plant them too thickly and fail to thin them. If you don't thin your carrots, you'll have lots of teeny tiny carrots that are not worth harvesting.

It's a good idea to plant carrots in the summer and harvest them in the fall. Carrot seeds like to germinate in warm soil and are sweeter when harvested after some cooler weather. However, if you plant them in the spring and you end up with carrots with a bitter taste, you can rescue them by cooking them with salt. Though the carrot will not get incredibly sweeter, the bitter flavor will be leached out. If my spring planted carrots get this way, I will often use them in a slightly sweet Asian stir fry.

No comments: