Central Virginia Organic Gardener

"And 'tis my faith that every flower enjoys the air it breathes." - William Wordsworth, 1798

Monday, July 13, 2009

Succession planting


Succession planting

I am doing a lot more succession planting this year than in the past. And more “waves” of plantings of the same crop. One way to get a lot of produce is to have a large garden. Another way to increase your harvest is to plant a second (or third) crop when the earlier one is done, or to plant in waves, say carrots every two weeks.

Here are some of my sequences that have worked this year: peas, followed by beans. Lettuces, followed by eggplants and peppers. Lettuces, followed by root crops. Onions followed by carrots. I recently tore out the kale beds (in the summer they get woody and their flavor deteriorates) (my son rejoices!) and will be amending the soil in those beds to plant fall lettuces, maybe broccoli and cauliflower. I write “maybe” because kale should probably not be followed by broccoli (they share some pests and diseases), but as long as I don’t plant anything in this family in the same bed next season, I am hoping it will be OK. I will be harvesting my potatoes soon and will also probably fill that area with greens and lettuces.

Another way to maximize your space is to plant quick growing crops in between slower growers, like lettuces and radishes between your pea plants or tomatoes. That way you get a quick crop, and they are harvested before the tomatoes or other plants need the space.

So, remember to maximize the use of the space you have, though it is sometimes a good idea to let a bed go fallow, cover it with compost, leaves, pine needles and let the soil regenerate for a season.

Happy gardening!

No comments: