Central Virginia Organic Gardener

"And 'tis my faith that every flower enjoys the air it breathes." - William Wordsworth, 1798

Sunday, July 5, 2009

What to do with all that kale...

(Photo caption: Making strawberry jam!)

What to do with all that kale…or tomatoes…or cucumbers

Over the last 6 weeks I have harvested enough cucumbers for multiple families…over the last few months enough kale for the neighborhood…. We gardeners coddle our veggie plants through diseases, drought and bugs and later get overwhelmed by the amount they produce (I find nothing sadder than seeing a neighbors garden with food rotting on the vine or plant). Here are some ideas for some of that bounty:

  1. Preserve: I can, of course. What I mean is that I can high-acid foods like tomatoes, jams and pickles. (I would like to pass along the advice that made my jams come out better- add 2-3 T. lemon juice and get them to the jell point of 220 degrees F and the jam will set up). There is more to preserving than this:
  2. I dehydrate: years ago my beloved bought me a “snack master” dehydrator and I use it to dry tomatoes (not sun dried, but pretty darn good tomato “raisins”), figs, peaches, apple slices and herbs. Dried produce, though it loses some of its nutrition, takes up lots less space and is a good source of fiber. I also air dry whole onions and garlic (“cure them”) and hang them in reused mesh bags in the pantry.
  3. I freeze: My freezer space is currently limited, so I freeze the foods I highly value, like strawberries, raspberries, bell peppers and roasted eggplant. These four do not require blanching, though other veggies, like green beans, edible-podded peas and corn, do require a minute or so in boiling water to deactivate enzymes that will cause them to spoil, even in the freezer.
  4. I cook: IMHO, there is not much of a point in growing all this wonderful produce if you don’t cook. It doesn’t need to be elaborate- think tomato sandwiches, pesto, tomato-based veggie soups, kale with carrots and garlic braised in wine or balsamic vinegar, cucumber salads, peach crisp…
  5. Of course, planning is important. I do grow more cucumber plants than I think I will need because I loose a few each spring. It is a good idea to how much you will eat. My family, for example, will eat about 10 turnips per year, so planting a bed of them is somewhat foolish, unless I follow my own advice at the end of this entry. We will, however, eat lots and lots of carrots and onions, so this is where my energy should go.

Sometimes my cooking can get a bit repetitive, but I find I can sneak in the same produce in different ways in a week; for example, my family consists of individuals who are not found of string beans-but they grow so easily! So, I marinate some for a salad one night, make an Indian-style green and dried bean dish the next, and put them in vegetarian Pad Thai the third night (then take a night off!).

Remember this last point: some food banks and soup kitchens accept fresh home grown produce…so, if you have too much, donate it!

Happy gardening!

3 comments:

Anita said...

I just visted my mom recently and was sent home with green peppers and cucumbers from her small garden. Her neighbor, who has a larger back yard garden, gave me squash. She'd given my mom swiss chard (don't know if I spelled that correctly). Mom cooked it and I really liked the taste.

Happy Gardening!

Judy Thomas said...

Hi Anita,
My favorite way to cook greens is to braise them. Put a few T. of olive oil in a Dutch oven and heat on medium (at this point you can add a sliced onion and a sprinkling of salt and let it brown). Add 8 cups washed and shredded greens- kale, chard, mustard- and crush 2 to 4 cloves of garlic on top of that. Add about 1/4 c. liquid- can be wine, balsamic vinegar, stock or water- and put the lid on. Open in 4-5 minutes, stir once, then cook for a few more minutes. YUM!
Judy

Anita said...

Sounds delicious, especially as I sit here hungry!