Central Virginia Organic Gardener

"And 'tis my faith that every flower enjoys the air it breathes." - William Wordsworth, 1798

Saturday, May 8, 2010

time to thin fruit trees

Time to thin fruit trees



Listen to my pod cast for Friday, May 7th on thinning of fruit on fruit trees (I try not to duplicate topics on blog and pod cast, but this time I had pictures).
To recap: to prevent:
1. too many, small fruits (all that later processing for less gain) and
2. cracking and snapping branches from too much weight from ripening fruit,
you need to thin off immature fruit to about one fruit for 6 to 8 inches of branch. I know it is hard to do, but do it you must! Above and below are some befores and afters (not great pix, but you get the idea. BTW the white stuff on the trees is Surround, an organic, kayolin clay spray that deters most pests on fruits)....
Happy gardening!



No comments: