Central Virginia Organic Gardener

"And 'tis my faith that every flower enjoys the air it breathes." - William Wordsworth, 1798

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year, Gardening Friends!


Here is my new garden assistant, Fluff, the terrier/Lhasa mix!  Terriers are great at digging out voles and moles and I hope she will get to work soon. She is a rescue, removed from a home with three other dogs who were being neglected.  We are so happy to have her!  She is fitting in well with the family and our other dog, Bob (who has been a total gentleman about this upstart!)

It is that time of year again.  Today, New Year's Day, is when I settle down with hot tea or chocolate, under a blanket, and make my seed order (and order some garden products or tools as well: this year I am looking for spinosad to deal with squash and cucumber pets) for the coming garden season.  It is just around the corner, folks!  You can still be gardening under cover and can start peas as early as mid-February.  The turning of the year is the time when my spirits lift, and I begin to plan the garden season again.  And time to get that tree pruning done!

Happy New Year and Happy Gardening!

No comments: