Central Virginia Organic Gardener

"And 'tis my faith that every flower enjoys the air it breathes." - William Wordsworth, 1798

Monday, March 30, 2009

Spring planting


What to plant now in Central Virginia
[Photo: kale in the garden]
Years ago, I remember a friend planting peas and lettuce in mid-May and wondering why she didn’t get much of a crop. It’s because she assumed that all seeds must be sown, and all plants must be planted, after the last average front date. As you know if you have been reading this blog, I have already planted peas, potatoes, lettuces and some spring greens, but it is not too late to plant or continue sowing these crops along with many others.

So, what can you pant now in Central VA? Here’s a partial list: lettuces, kale, chard, mustard, spinach (get these in soon), cress, turnips, beets, radishes, peas (may be a little late, and snow peas might work best), carrots, cilantro, dill, onions, and potatoes (get these in soon too). Strawberry planting time is approaching (may I recommend the variety ‘Honeoye’-very prolific for me) and you can plant raspberries (I love ‘Nova’) and fruit trees too, though tree planting is best in VA in the fall.

Happy gardening!

2 comments:

Merryone said...

I'm learning so much from your blog. Thank you for your very helpful information.

Now I just need to begin the work!!

Judy Thomas said...

I just put in the onions, turnips and carrots, beets are next!
jt