Central Virginia Organic Gardener

"And 'tis my faith that every flower enjoys the air it breathes." - William Wordsworth, 1798

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wednesday Lagniappe: Love It or Hate It?


At one point, I started a series of occasional posts called "Love It or Hate It?" but found that I like most any plant I see and that most landscaping practices are fine by me.  I recently got a fall bulb catalog (I do get a few gardening catalogs, but not as many as you might imagine) that had this on the back cover: the tulip "Ice Cream."  Do you love it or hate it?  I formed an opinion right away: I despise it!  It looks like a diseased or infected plant, part tulip, part ...  well, I will be polite.  It also looks like someone stuffed tulips with tissues.   I guess I get the idea, like it is a pink bowl full of vanilla ice cream, but...yuck! The white center petals ruins the graceful form of the tulip. Anyone have a different opinion?  I will be kind!

No comments: